Bilbao Airport Arrivals

bilbao arrivals
Car hire

Live Flight Arrivals

Arriving at Bilbao

Bilbao Airport dates back to the 1950´s and is now a three level building with four gates which handled almost four million passengers last year.

In 2000 a stunning terminal costing over 43 million euros designed in the shape of a dove in flight by the architect Santiago Calatrava was opened to cope with the increasing passenger traffic which rose by just over 15% in 2006.

Bilbao Airport has just opened its renovated arrivals hall which has a tourist information service and a cafeteria with terrace. Eight new lifts have also been installed, and two ramps, one up and one down, between the arrivals floor and the passageway leading to the car park.

Bilbao Airport deals mostly with domestic flights which make up 73.6% of its traffic with the remaining 26.4% comprising international passengers.

It has good motorway links in the A-8 and AP-86 and easy access to the nearby city centre. If you are hiring a car you must take care to drive within the outer perimeter speed limit which is 85 km per hour.

Bilbao is a modern Airport which takes pride in its extra security measures and is equipped with up to date robotic systems for handling possible terrorist attempts and explosives detection. There are advanced illumination systems here and the luggage is handled by fast conveyor belts which can cope with high volumes.

There is no train service at the airport but there is a good bus service to the centre of Bilbao and there are plenty of airport taxis outside the terminal buildings which are all clearly signposted.

If you need to obtain information on Bilbao when you arrive at the airport, there is a tourist and business information office in the arrivals floor and another on the departures floor by luggage check-in counter 36. When these offices are closed information can be obtained at the Aena counters. The bank is open from 6:00 to 23:00 hours and several ATM machines also may be found on the departure level.


By Linda Craik Google+

Do you have any questions?
Join us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Our Experts
Gary Ingram
Joanne Ingram
Find more about Weather in Bilbao
bilbao car hire